Self-checking the interface
на русском · in english
Before each interface screen, I ask myself these questions:
- And in this case, does the person have a habit? Are there any familiar patterns of such an interface already existing in the world?
- Am I forcing the user to do something that a computer can do? Did I lose the data that the user gave me?
- Did I remove all the extra stuff from this screen? Is it possible to connect some functionality? Can I add some utility?
- I try to imagine that I didn’t see anything before this screen. Do I understand everything on this screen?
- Have I done everything to avoid using the modal interface? Can I show all the features at once? Can I use a quasi-mode?
- Is it easy for me to hit each element with my cursor or finger?
- Have I thought about the feedback of each action? It should be fast, constant, and simple.
- Does the interface fit into the user’s mental model? Can I reduce the resistance if I go beyond the limits of this model?
- Is the interface complete and systematic? Can I reuse something? Are there any errors?
- Is my interface organized? Can I reuse something? Are there any errors?