Self-checking the interface
на русском · in english
Before each interface screen, I ask myself these questions:
- And in this case, does a person have some kind of habit? Are there any familiar patterns of such an interface in the world?
- Am I forcing the user to do something that a computer can do? For example, the field is immediately in focus.
- Have I lost the data that the user gave me?
- Did I remove all the extra stuff from this screen? Is it possible to connect some functionality? Can I add some utility?
- I try to imagine that I didn’t see anything before this screen. Do I understand everything on this screen?
- Have I done everything to avoid using the modal interface? Can I show all the functions at once? Can I use a quasi-mode? Have I thought through stack navigation well?
- Is it easy for me to hit each element with my cursor or finger? Have I shown the click areas?
- Have I thought about the feedback of each action? It should be fast, constant and simple. Sometimes emotional, where it is necessary. Have I prepared animations of important interface elements? Do I need tactile feedback and sound feedback?
- Does the interface fit into the user’s mental model? Can I reduce the resistance if I go beyond the limits of this model?
- Is the interface complete and systematic? Can I reuse something? Do all the elements correspond to the design system?
- Did I get an aesthetic, simple and clean interface? Have I lost my simplicity trying to explain what kind of screen it is?
- Did I forget about darkmode?
- Did I forget about tablets? About small smartphones?
- Did I describe all the extreme states? How many lines of text? How to position images and so on. What does the screen look like without data?
- Are there any extra loaders? Ideally, there should be no loaders at all. Do I need skeletons?
- Did I forget to consider what the interface would look like with the larger font?
- Did I discuss the syntax with the ux editor?
- Did I add a cherry to the cake? Did I do something small but important that will surprise the user?